National Donor Sabbath: An Interfaith Celebration of Organ Donation
November is National Donor Sabbath month, celebrating the interfaith support of organ donation as an act of generosity and compassion that saves the lives of others. There are 110,000 people waiting nationally for a transplant and nearly 10,000 right here in New York, many of whom may be your congregants, family, and friends. New York also has an organ shortage resulting in longer wait times for those on the transplant waiting list. On average, a New Yorker dies every day waiting for the organ transplant that could have saved their life. Religious leaders are encouraged to affect positive change by being outspoken that organ, eye and tissue donation saves lives and extends the blessings that are given to us. By educating our communities we can encourage more people to say yes to donation and give the gift of life to someone who desperately needs it.
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP
There are many ways your congregation can support and celebrate the lifesaving power of organ donation. Any of the efforts listed below will go a long way in doing something meaningful for those in need of a transplant.
- Share a message in support of organ donation during a sermon.
- Allow someone from your congregation, or another member of the community, who has been affected by organ, eye and tissue donation (a transplant recipient, someone waiting for a transplant, or the family member of someone who was an organ donor) to share their story during a sermon. If you would like to request a speaker please email SWohl@LiveOnNY.org.
- Say a prayer for those waiting for a transplant, transplant recipients, and the family members of organ donors during service.
- Feature a message in support of organ donation in your bulletin.
- Send a newsletter to your congregation.
- Write and submit an article supporting organ and tissue donation to your local newspaper.
- Post about organ donation on your social media handles and add LiveOnNY.org as a link on your website as a resource for congregants to access further information.
Resources for Faith Leaders
Religious leaders can help affect positive change by being outspoken that organ, eye and tissue donation saves lives and extends the blessings that are given to us. Below are links to digital tool kits and resources to help educate our communities about organ donation. The tool kits include newsletter and bulletin content, personal stories, perspectives from religious leaders and authorities, facts about donation and other useful materials.
- General Donor Sabbath Digital Tool Kit
- A Buddhist Perspective: Simplified Chinese Digital Tool Kit
- A Buddhist Perspective: English Digital Tool Kit
- A Catholic Perspective: Digital Tool Kit
- A Christian Perspective: Digital Tool Kit
- A Hindu Perspective: Digital Tool Kit
- A Jewish Perspective: Digital Tool Kit
- A Muslim Perspective: Digital Tool Kit
- National Donor Sabbath Social Media Graphic
- A Matter of Faith Video YouTube Link: https://bit.ly/2IEtzav
- Social Assets - English
- Social Assets - Spanish
For more information contact Scott Wohl, Senior Manager, Community & Government Affairs at SWohl@LiveOnNY.org or 646-291-4626.