organ donor enrollment day
October 10, 2018 marks the fourth annual Organ Donor Enrollment Day
Every 18 hours a New Yorker dies waiting for a lifesaving transplant. A contributing factor to this statistic is the fact that there are not enough New Yorkers registered as organ donors. Only 31% of New Yorker are registered organ donors.
But there is hope. A recent study showed that 92% of New Yorkers support organ and tissue donation, so the willingness is there. And evidence of this support is becoming more and more apparent. Over the last five years, New York has been in the top ten states with the fastest growing percentage of residents signing up as organ donors.
October 10, 2018 marks the fourth annual Organ Donor Enrollment Day. This turnkey event is focused around one goal: to enroll as many willing New Yorkers as possible as organ donors in a single day. Organ Donor Enrollment Day presents New Yorkers with a convenient opportunity to take a step to make their support known and to sign up on as an organ donor.
getting started is easy! here's what you need to do
- Step 1: Register as an individual or team (registration opens in March)
- Step 2: On October 10th collect enrollments by tabling in a public place, hitting the streets, taking forms to work, calling friends, posting on social media or other creative ways
- Step 3: Collect as many enrollments as possible
- Step 4: Enjoy yourself and feel good knowing your work is saving lives in the future
create a team
When forming a team, each team captain will be responsible for creating a team. The team name could be your organization’s name, in honor of someone touched by donation or any description that best fits the people on your team.
Materials will be provided to participants in advance of the event. Materials can be picked up in person or sent by mail. Participants will be provided with the following: information about the day, t-shirts, enrollment forms and materials, promotional tool kit, prepaid envelope to submit completed forms.
- Download the Enrollment Day 1 pager
All completed enrollment forms need to be submitted by October 12. You can submit forms by mail using the prepaid envelopes provided by LiveOnNY. Enrollments must be garnered on Wednesday, October 10th, 2018, and dated as such to count towards Organ Donor Enrollment Day. Any enrollment form with a date other than October 10th will not be counted towards a team’s total submission, but will still be added to the New York State Registry.
a legacy of impact and coverage
- New York set record for organ donation enrollment in 2016 and hopes to top that figure this year (NY Daily News)
- Hayley Podschun Is Rallying Her Broadway Troops to Raise Organ Donation Awareness - Register Today! (Broadway World)
- Westchester Group Celebrates Transplants (NBC)
- LIer in need of heart transplant urges organ donor registration (Newsday)
- Brooklyn hospital enrollment drive encourages organ donor sign-ups (News 12)